While water leaks might be considered less devastating than fire damage, even a small water leak on your property can cause significant damages that will be very costly to mitigate. When a water leak escalates, it can cause mold, stains and waterlogged drywall. Therefore, if you can’t stop a water leak immediately, it is important to contact Mold Doctors USA to prevent further damage. Regardless of whether it is a minor or major water leak, it is crucial to deal with any water leaks quickly. [...]
Testing of a building for mold typically involves both air and surface sampling. Surface sampling involves collecting a sample of material suspected of harboring mold with a sterile swab or tape. This sample is then viewed under a microscope to determine if the sample contains mold, and if so, what type of mold. Air sampling involves collecting a known volume of air and determining the number and types of mold spores present. Indoor levels are then compared to outdoor [...]
Visible mold and/or a musty odor are two signs of a mold problem. Not all mold, though, is visible. Mold can grow in wall spaces, attics, cupboards, beneath carpet and under appliances. Hidden mold growth can release dangerous spores to the air. Any building that has suffered water damage or is unusually humid should be inspected for excessive mold growth by an experienced environmental consultant.
Mold requires a moist environment to grow. Any excess moisture in a home or office can lead to amplified mold growth. This moisture can come from water damage from flooding or leaking roofs and pipes. However, the moisture may not be from an obvious source. Improperly constructed building foundations can cause excess water vapor to seep through the floors of buildings. This can cause mold growth in carpets and in wall spaces where ventilation is poor.
Individuals with pre-existing allergies or respiratory conditions, are likely to be more sensitive to mold spores. Other individuals that may be sensitive include infants and young children, the elderly, and immune comprised patients (people with HIV, undergoing, chemotherapy, liver disease, etc.) Most people are exposed to mold daily with little or no reaction. Prolonged exposure, though, over a long period of time can make a person sensitive to molds when they previously did not have a reaction.
In most cases, mold related health problems go away after the mold is removed or after the occupants leave the impacted building. It is believed, though, that the affected individuals may have a greater sensitivity to molds in the future so that later it will take exposure to lower levels of mold spores for a shorter duration of time to develop the same problems.
The typical reaction to elevated levels of mold spores is an allergic reaction. This is similar to the seasonal allergies many people develop in the fall when outdoor mold levels are often high. The typical symptoms are sneezing, nasal and sinus congestion, irritation in the eyes, nose, and throat, and coughing. In sensitive individuals, more serious problems may develop such as: shortness of breath frequent headaches trouble concentrating mood changes nausea and dizziness stress fatigue asthma skin irritation
NO… Allergenic molds are normally not dangerous in low amounts, but they can cause allergenic or asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing or runny nose. These molds can be abaated safely in small amounts, with the assistance of gloves and a disposable particulate-removing respirator.
Remember, mold is everywhere in small doses, indoors and outdoors. But before fungi/mold colonize and become a potential hazard, four requirements must be met: Air, temperature, moisture and food source. Humidity and water leaks are the cause of most mold infestations.
Molds are microscopic organisms found virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Molds are tiny, lightweight and easily detached by airflow, vacuuming or walking on carpet. Indoors they grow in air-conditioning ducts, carpets, potted plants, etc. They produce and release millions of spores, which are small enough to stay airborne while threatening to invade the human respiratory system. In large quantities, molds can cause allergic symptoms similar to those caused by plant pollen. Molds also produce microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOC’s). [...]