Blog

Is Your Pest Control Guy Quoting You For Fungus and Mold Work? Read This Before You Make A Decision

“My pest control company wants to take care of fungus they found in my crawlspace.” We hear this statement from time and time.  For a number of reasons, Mold Doctors USA advises our clients to hire a company that specializes in their field.  In other words, use a local pest control company that provides pest control, but don’t expect them to perform a job meant for another professional. Unfortunately, many of our customers are being offered a multitude of services by [...]

Read more...

Why You Should Never Hire The Same Mold Removal Company To Do Mold Inspection

Is it ok to have the same company that provides remediation do the mold testing as well? NO!!!! It is an absolute conflict of interest. I always ask someone, “When you eat in a restaurant do you notice their health inspection report? How would you feel if the owner of that restaurant scored their own restaurant?” That puts it in perspective, right? Just as you expect a professional health inspector to honestly score a restaurant’s performance, it is essential to hire [...]

Read more...

Why You Shouldn’t Call Your Handyman For Water Damage

Does it matter if I use my handyman to clean up the water damage in my home? We hear this question all the time. Most recently, a customer of ours woke up to water on the entire first floor of her Blount County home. Her water heater had busted overnight and every single room was covered in inches of water. She instantly called her handyman and asked him what to do. He said he would just come “suck up” the water. Upon [...]

Read more...

How A Little Shower Drain Clog Could Leave You With A Big Problem

Who doesn’t love a good shower? We all do, but that shower can wreck havoc on your home if the drain clogs. Making sure the shower drain doesn’t clog is important to avoid water damage in your home. If you notice clogging, pour baking soda, followed by vinegar, down the drain to see if that will unclog it. Obviously, this is a quick fix for perhaps a more serious issue. We definitely recommend calling a reputable plumbing company to fix the [...]

Read more...

Why Knoxville TN Homeowners Should Know The Symptoms Of Mold Exposure

Do you think you have been exposed to toxic mold? Millions of people are exposed to toxic mold on a daily basis – without even touching it. By ingesting and breathing mold particles, they don’t know they have been exposed. Mold can be hidden in your crawlspace, basement, behind walls, and throughout multiple places. Mold is especially common in Knoxville and East Tennessee, where our damp and humid climate traps moisture and encourages mold growth. Mold can make you [...]

Read more...

How is a building tested for mold?

Testing of a building for mold typically involves both air and surface sampling. Surface sampling involves collecting a sample of material suspected of harboring mold with a sterile swab or tape. This sample is then viewed under a microscope to determine if the sample contains mold, and if so, what type of mold. Air sampling involves collecting a known volume of air and determining the number and types of mold spores present. Indoor levels are then compared to outdoor [...]

Read more...

How do I know if I have a mold problem?

Visible mold and/or a musty odor are two signs of a mold problem. Not all mold, though, is visible. Mold can grow in wall spaces, attics, cupboards, beneath carpet and under appliances. Hidden mold growth can release dangerous spores to the air. Any building that has suffered water damage or is unusually humid should be inspected for excessive mold growth by an experienced environmental consultant.

Read more...

What causes excessive mold growth?

Mold requires a moist environment to grow. Any excess moisture in a home or office can lead to amplified mold growth. This moisture can come from water damage from flooding or leaking roofs and pipes. However, the moisture may not be from an obvious source. Improperly constructed building foundations can cause excess water vapor to seep through the floors of buildings. This can cause mold growth in carpets and in wall spaces where ventilation is poor.

Read more...

How can I tell if I am sensitive to molds?

Individuals with pre-existing allergies or respiratory conditions, are likely to be more sensitive to mold spores. Other individuals that may be sensitive include infants and young children, the elderly, and immune comprised patients (people with HIV, undergoing, chemotherapy, liver disease, etc.) Most people are exposed to mold daily with little or no reaction. Prolonged exposure, though, over a long period of time can make a person sensitive to molds when they previously did not have a reaction.

Read more...

Are mold related health problems permanent?

In most cases, mold related health problems go away after the mold is removed or after the occupants leave the impacted building. It is believed, though, that the affected individuals may have a greater sensitivity to molds in the future so that later it will take exposure to lower levels of mold spores for a shorter duration of time to develop the same problems.

Read more...